Monday, January 29, 2007

Belonging

Some people are born where they belong,
Their home and family supply all needs:
The glow of hearthlight waxes strong
The call of the wider world recedes.

And some search long but never find
A spot where they can set up base
At last they must become resigned
To moving on from place to place

And some again, the lucky few
Are urged to leave, and to seek out
An individual rendezvous
With love's whisper or fame's shout

Belonging is a state of mind
Tranquility its foremost fruit
Sought by all, but many find
It cannot grow without a root


REPRODUCTION RIGHTS
I give permission to students to quote and reproduce this poem in assigments on condition that the poem is credited to Martin Locock and the url is stated: http://locock3.blogspot.com/2007/01/belonging.html.

Teachers and others wishing to include it in resource packs should contact me at mlocockATgmailDOTcom.


CONTEXTUAL INFORMATION
Information about the poet can be found at A Few Words (see for example Self portrait in 30 statements) and Answers to questions from Poet's Letter, and there are also author's notes about the poem.


PUBLICATION

Belonging is included in my poetry collection Carefully Chosen Words published by Carreg Ffylfan Press.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I really like your poem.

may i please use it for an assignment i have?
if you could give me your consent that would be awesome.

keep up the awesome work!!

James said...

Yes I would also appreciate if you allow me to use your poem as my separate text for my English assignment.

If you would please give me your consent that would be much obliged.

This is really a great poem.

Martin Locock said...

Sure: glad you like it.

You should ackonlwegde me as author and cite theurl as the source.

James said...

I will, thank you. It's year 12 assignment so I have to do that anyway. Is there a last name you would like as the author or just martin?

Martin Locock said...

Locock, as it says on the top of the page (!)

James said...

Sorry i did not notice that, i will put this information in my assignment.

thank you again for allowing me the use of your poem.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crub said...

I really like your poem and it ties in well with my english assignment. Can i please have your permission to use it?

Helen

Martin Locock said...

Helen (and anyone else)

Yes you can use this for an assignment: please credit source and author


Martin

Crub said...

Yeah I can do that!

Thankyou.

AsheyBaby said...

Hi, I was wondering if I coukld use your poem for a project im doing at school. I think it would be perfect for my theme of 'belonging' I would like to use it, with your consent.
I will Credit you, and the source (:

Martin Locock said...

Ahsey baby

sure

xoXLuvableLuvbugXox said...

Hey
I was wondering if i could use this poem aswell for the year 12 assignment??
Just wanted to get your permission. :)

Elsie said...

Hi Martin,
As you have have figured out, the Area of Study for the 2009 HSC has changed from 'Journies' (as it has been for a couple of years) to 'Belonging' for all English students. Since English is a subject that is required for every student, we all have to study various texts that convey Belonging...
When searching on google for 'belonging poems' The link for your poem is one of the first ones that are found.
The techniques, sound and meaning that make up your poem are what intrests us students to use your poem as one of our studied peices.

To save the trouble for all the future students that visit this site and decide to use your poem, i was wondering if we stated your full name, 'Martin Locock' and the url; 'http://locock3.blogspot.com/2007/01/belonging.html' whether we could use this as a related text.

good luck in future writing!
Take Care.
Regards,
Elsie.

Martin Locock said...

@luvbug (great name!)

Sure

@Elsie

Good idea: thanks for the info

Unknown said...

Hey Martin

As a year 12 student , it would be a good suggestion that you explain each of the lines in each stanza , so that we get better sound knowledge of what each line means. Just a suggestion and would a great hand for those in future who use this great poem.

Keep up the good work and Good Luck ll!
Regards,
Alex